DIY Bunny Bonnet
It has been such a long time since the last post. 3 months to be exact. It's just that I've been so busy with bubba now that he crawls everywhere and trying to stand on every chances he gets. So blogging was probably the last thing on my mind at the moment.
But the good news is Jay has been going to day care this week to get used to the routines so I can go back to work. It's only three days a week but I'm super excited to be back and have normal conversations with adults and not to think about soiled nappies and crying baby.
Anyway I have managed to get some free time to post this tutorial on a bunny bonnet I sewn a few months ago. It's really easy and look super cute on babies . Follow the steps below to make one yourself.
Here are what you'll need
- Cord and lining fabrics (I used brown cord and cream linen for lining)
- Measuring tape
- Sewing pins
- Sewing chalk
- Sewing machine
- Brown craft paper
1. Use a pen to draw out these shapes on brown paper and cut them. The template I have here is for a 6-12 months baby depending how big your baby's head is. But make sure you measure his/her head to ensure the fitting.
2. Trace the templates on cord fabric and cut 2x head pieces, 2x ear pieces and 1x middle piece.
3. Cut the same pieces for the linings. And cut 2x rectangles pieces (6cm x 45cm) for bonnet's tied strings.
4. Start on the bunny ears by facing the right sides together and sew straight stiches around the edges, fold it right side out and iron.
5. Line the head and middle piece right side facing each other and insert the bunny ear in between about 5 cm away from top corner and pin. Sew straight stiches along the head curve. And repeat the same on the other side.
6. Repeat the same steps as above for the lining except without the bunny ears. If your lining has prints then make sure you sew on the outer sides.
7. You should end up with an outer and a lining pieces like above photo. Now comes the assembling part. Turn the their right sides facing each other and sew along the top perimeter and fold them right side out.
8. Take the 2 rectangle pieces you cut in step 2, fold them in half as above photo and iron. Sew along from top to bottom to create a closed rectangle band.
9. Unravel the sides of your bonnet and insert the rectangle band 1 cm away from the edge and sew it in place. Then fold the outer and lining sides together and sew with straigh stiches all along the bottom edges.
There you have it !! A bunney bonnet which adds that cuteness factor to any outfits. My baby always get so much compliments whenever he wears his.
Hope you enjoy this tutorial and please subscribe to the mailing list if you'd like to see more tutorials like this.